Sunday, October 19, 2014

Home Again

I visited my friend again to finish up the rust repairs and to get the car back home. I acquired temporary plates for a day as the inspections time had already passed. We visited the garage and cleaned the welds and applied some more paint to the bottom of the car. As the interior had no paint at all, we just sprayed some etching primer in there. I would apply some Temadur over the primer back at home.

The following evening I set off and drove the 150 km from Tampere to Järvenpää. Some of the trip was done in the dark and the new headlights were excellent! Adding relays for them made a huge difference! Everything else also worked like a charm so hopefully I would not have problems in the inspection. Before it, I would have to install at least some of the interior back in the car.

A few days later I got around to also paint the driver footwell and after letting it dry, I bolted both seats in the car and threw in the rear seat too. This way the car at least seemed a bit more roadworthy...


I reserved an inspection time and drove the car there. Unfortunately everything was not fine with the Mustang. The main found problem was the rear brakes. There was a 42% difference between the driver and passenger side brake force! This is extremely strange because my friend had tested the brakes back at Tampere a few days earlier. Everything had been fine then and now, a short trip later, driver side brake was much weaker.

There were other smaller problems too: horn did not work, windshield wipers were perished and the front wheel bearing were a bit loose. Hopefully the bearings can just be tightened and the others should not be too difficult to fix either. Disappointed I drove back home and started planning for fixing the problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment